Oreos! (GF, DF, RSF, Paleo)

(In case you're wondering who the HOT model is, it's my beautiful cousin, Kitty Line)

Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone had a great weekend! 

This past Wednesday was Max's birthday so my weekend was full of celebrations, friends, and cake. As a foodie, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to use his birthday as an excuse to bake far too much. Whilst thinking of things to create for his special day I stumbled across one of my favorite past recipes. 

Oreo's have been a "thing" for as long as I can remember. I've never actually been able to try one because of my gluten allergy and Billy's restricted diet, but pretty much every kid in junior school had a snack pack in their lunchbox. People would talk about eating them in different ways, which flavor was the best and how many they could eat in one sitting. Meanwhile, I'd be sitting there with my fruit strip and carrot sticks (thanks, mum!). 

Thankfully there are now many healthy subs for the junk that tends to be found in store-bought cookies and biscuits. This guilt-free Oreo recipe not only tastes delicious, it also looks relatively close to the real thing! I used heart cookie cutters because I thought they looked adorable but feel free to mold these crunchy nuggets of goodness into any shape you want. 

Chocolate 'Oreo' Hearts (Grain, Dairy, Gluten and Refined Sugar Free)


Ingredients:
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup finely ground almonds 
1/4 cup flax meal
2 tablespoons 100% cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon raw honey
2 tablespoon almond butter
2 large organic eggs

For the filling:
3 tablespoons coconut butter
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
11/2 tablespoon raw honey

Method:

1) Mix the coconut flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.

2) Pour in the almonds, flax seeds and salt. Blend until combined.

3) In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, honey, almond butter and vanilla.

4) Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until a thick dough texture forms.

5) Roll out the dough until about 1/4 inch thick and using a small cookie cutter, make your shapes. Ensure there are an even number of cookies.

6) Bake these on a lined baking tray at 375 for 7 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.

7) To make the filling, blend all ingredients until fully combined. Set mixture in the fridge.

8) Flip half of the cookies upside down and top each with 1 level tablespoon of filling.

9) Press the remaining cookies on top to make little sandwiches. Store in the fridge and enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments