Grandpa's Hot Chicken Pie.... Paleo Style





Chicken pie holds a special place in my heart. Not only is it delicious, comforting and hearty, but it also reminds me of my family. My late Grandfather (who was affectionately known as Grandpa Noise because he was rather loud) loved chicken pie and after shouting around the house at a family get together that it was "HOT CHICKEN PIE" time, it quickly became a jokey catchphrase amongst the cousins. Ten years later, this phrase continues puts a smile on my face. 

Despite the Texas summer weather *blessing* me with 100- degree heat everyday, sometimes you just STILL crave warm, filling comfort food. Maybe it's a British thing... I don't know. Anyway, today is one of those days. Hot, creamy pie sounds bloody delicious right about now. I scouted my recipe database and remember that years ago I made this yummy chicken pot pie recipe in honor of Grandpa Noise. I thought I would share it with you... Enjoy! 




Grandpa's "Hot Chicken Pie" (Paleo, GF, DF)

Ingredients (crust):
4 cups almond flour
1/2 cup arrowroot flour
2 egg whites
pinch of salt

Ingredients (creamy sauce):
1 head of cauliflower
3 cups chicken or bone broth
2 egg yolks
1 clove garlic

Ingredients (filling):
4 large chicken breasts, cooked
3 large carrots, chopped
1 large diced onion
3 cups parsnips, cubed
1 large sweet potato, cubed
pinch of pink salt
3 Tbsp coconut oil

Method:

 1. Start by making your crust. Combine all crust ingredients and work them together with your hands to form a dough.

2.  Press your dough into a large rectangle on parchment paper, ensuring it is longer than the size of your dish. Refrigerate.

3. Now onto making your creamy sauce! Simmer the cauliflower and garlic in bone/ chicken broth until the cauliflower is soft (about 17-23 minutes)

4. Blend cauliflower, broth, and garlic in a food processor until pureed. Add your whisked yolks.

5. In a large pot, heat coconut oil and add onion, carrots, and parsnips. Cook until vegetables are heated (approximately 15-20 minutes)

6. Add your sweet potato cubes and chicken and cook until both are heated thoroughly (approximately 8 minutes)

7. Remove from the heat and add your cauliflower sauce to your filling. Add some salt and pepper or another seasoning if you fancy!

8. Pour the filling mixture into a large rectangular pan and carefully transfer your pie crust on the top.

9. Put a few cuts or even decorations into the crust to allow steam to escape (looks pretty too!)

10. Bake your chicken pie for approximately 40 minutes at 375F until the crust is a beautiful golden brown.

Enjoy! 
(Thumbs up from my taste tester- Billy!) 


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love your site and the beautiful picture you've used of your grandparents! I can't wait to try your recipe! Billy's thumbs up is a huge incentive for me to try it! <3

    ReplyDelete